Disposable nappies account for 4% of household waste, which end up in landfill and take around 500 years to decompose. They are not environmentally friendly and can cost you £1000 from birth to potty.
Modern washable nappies are available from high street stores. They are comfortable and gentle on babies skin, safe, easy to use and cost effective.
Easy to use
- They are easy to use; liners can be flushed down the toilet and nappies can be washed at 60 degrees in the washing machine. Alternatively you can use a nappy laundry service.
- They come in a range of styles and patterns and fasten with velcro or poppers.
Good for Babies Health
- They are breathable, waterproof and have elasticated legs to prevent leaks.
- Liners offer an effective stay-dry layer.
- They are free from chemical gels present in disposable nappies and help to prevent nappy rash.
- You can save up to £600 on your first child by using washable nappies and even more one the second child by reusing them.
- The total cost for the disposal of nappies nationally is £40 million each year.
- Washable nappies are environment friendly whereas disposables use more raw materials and energy and have a harmful effect on our environment.
- Every disposable nappy dumped in a landfill site takes 200-500 years to decompose
- Seven million trees are cut down each year to supply paper pulp to make disposable nappies in theUK.
Try before you buy
Leicester City Council, in partnership with local nappy advisors, offers a Reusable Nappy Lending Kit to hire for 4 weeks. The kit will help parents choose which type of nappy is suitable for their child before buying their own set. The nappies must be returned clean and a deposit is required. For more information, please call 0116 4541000 or click here.
Type in your post code to find your nearest recycling bank.
To find out when we are serving your street type in your post code.